ShareSocTerms and Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to use of this website and to membership or associate membership of ShareSoc and/or SIGnet.
- ShareSoc is a registered trademark and the principal operating name of the UK Individual Shareholders Society Ltd, a company limited by guarantee and registered in England – Registration Number 7503076. The liability of each statutory member is limited to £1.
- ShareSoc is a not-for-profit organisation controlled by its members and funded primarily by membership fees and donations. ShareSoc provides a range of services to individual investors including information, networking, education and representation.
- SIGnet is a membership activity facilitating networking and self-education for individual investors. Members of SIGnet are also covered by these terms and conditions, with references to ShareSoc being read as references to SIGnet. SIGnet is not separately incorporated and is administered by ShareSoc. Members of SIGnet are automatically associate members of ShareSoc and are encouraged to become full members.
- This website and all material on it (unless otherwise specified) is owned by ShareSoc. Other products or service names mentioned on our site may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
- All material on this web site is copyright of ShareSoc unless otherwise indicated. All rights are reserved and material on this web site must not be reproduced or distributed in any form or incorporated into other work without the written permission of ShareSoc and/or of any other copyright owner. Requests to use any of the material should be submitted to ShareSoc via email using the address given on the “Contact” page. Permission is however granted for use of any material on this web site that is generated by or on behalf of ShareSoc for any non-commercial purpose including educational or news reporting purposes provided ShareSoc is acknowledged as the source.
- No warranty is given by ShareSoc as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of the information provided on this web site. ShareSoc attempts to ensure the accuracy of any information provided, and any errors should be referred to ShareSoc for correction.
- ShareSoc is not authorised to give investment advice, and is not regulated by any Regulatory Authority, and nor does it seek to give such advice. The information, services and data published on this website and in other ShareSoc publications are intended for general information only and must not be construed as advice under the UK’s Financial Services Acts or other applicable laws. Any actions you may take as a result of any information or advice contained on this web site or otherwise supplied to you by ShareSoc should be verified with third parties such as legal or other professional advisors. Use of such material is at your sole risk.
- Investment in the stock market carries substantial risks and share prices can go down as well as up. Past performance is not necessarily an indication of future performance.
Third Party Information and Services
- This website and other information provided to you by ShareSoc may contain links to other third-party websites, services or material. ShareSoc is not responsible for the operations of such third parties and provides no warranty as to the quality of information or services provided therein. This website may also contain third-party advertising material that is the sole responsibility of the advertisers.
- No warranty is given by ShareSoc as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of the information provided in presentations to members by companies or by ShareSoc representatives in seminars or other meetings organised or sponsored by ShareSoc. Information given in such meetings does not constitute investment, legal, tax or other advice or any recommendation to buy, sell, or otherwise transact in the shares of the companies presenting. Prospective investors should take appropriate professional advice before making any investment decision or undertake their own further research.
Contributed Information and Forums
- Any material, content or information submitted to ShareSoc may be published by ShareSoc and may be edited before publication unless you specifically state otherwise. By submitting such material to us you grant us full copyright over the work and over any derivative works that may arise as a result of our use thereof. You warrant that you have the right to grant copyright.
- You may not use any discussion forums or bulletin boards maintained by ShareSoc to promote or denigrate companies, to promote investments or to publish inaccurate or defamatory material. You will use such services only for proper purposes and in accordance with all applicable laws and are solely responsible for any legal consequences arising as a result of placing any material on any bulletin board or forum maintained by ShareSoc. ShareSoc reserves the right to remove material which breaches these requirements and to terminate your membership of ShareSoc following such breach.
- ShareSoc does not monitor or control information placed on forums or bulletin boards by contributors. You must use your own judgement about the accuracy of that information and the reliance you place on it. You must not republish any such information and if you do are solely liable for the consequences of so doing.
- Paid membership of ShareSoc (“full membership”) conveys statutory membership of the UK Individual Shareholders Society Ltd., including the right to attend and vote at General Meetings thereof. It also allows access to services provided by ShareSoc (certain of which may attract incremental charges).
- Associate membership of ShareSoc (“associate membership”) is free of charge. It allows limited access to services provided by ShareSoc.
- Paid membership of SIGnet (“SIGnet membership”) conveys statutory membership including the right to attend and vote at General Meetings of the UK Individual Shareholders Society Ltd. Such membership is subject to convenor acceptance and permits access to SIGnet’s investor networking meetings. SIGnet members are automatically enrolled as associate members of ShareSoc.
- Paid membership of both ShareSoc and SIGnet (“combined membership”) conveys the benefits of full membership and SIGnet membership at a reduced cost. Such membership is subject to SIGnet convenor acceptance. Should either full membership of ShareSoc or membership of SIGnet cease, the ‘combined’ discount will also cease and any subsequent SIGnet or ShareSoc renewal will automatically revert to full price.
- Membership fees are non-refundable (except in respect of SIGnet fees, where a “no quibble guarantee” applies, as set out in the SIGnet rules). ShareSoc reserves the right to change membership fee rates and the terms and conditions that apply to membership without notice.
- It is a condition of continuing membership that you provide ShareSoc with an accurate name and functioning email address, and that you do not unsubscribe from email communications.
- Members must adhere to any membership rules and / or byelaws issued by ShareSoc and / or SIGnet from time to time.
- ShareSoc applies standard rate UK Valued Added Tax (“VAT”) on certain services including membership fees. Our VAT Registration Number is GB 109 9122 18. A VAT invoice can be supplied upon request.
Waiver of Liability
- By using this website, you accept that ShareSoc will not be liable in respect of any damage, expense or loss whether direct, indirect or consequential that you may suffer arising out the use of, or reliance on, any information on this website or otherwise supplied by ShareSoc or SIGnet.
- Additional terms and conditions apply to competitions and prize draws promoted by ShareSoc – refer to https://www.sharesoc.org/legal/competition-terms/
Jurisdiction and Amendments
- These terms and conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. The courts of England and Wales will have sole jurisdiction over any disputes that may arise from use of this web site or from membership of ShareSoc. These terms and conditions may be varied at any time at the discretion of ShareSoc.
Last Revised 24/03/2022